Consider this a supplement to today’s This Day, just for the record.
- 1779: Thomas Jefferson succeeds Patrick Henry as governor of Virginia.
- 1792: Nine counties formerly in Virginia become the state of Kentucky.
- 1806: John B. Floyd is born. Like his father, he would be governor. And secretary of war. And a terrible general.
- 1862: Robert E. Lee issues Special Orders, No. 22, referring for the first time to the Army of Northern Virginia.
- 1866: Winfield Scott is buried at West Point. Ulysses S. Grant, George G. Meade, and his fellow Virginian George H. Thomas all attend.
IMAGE: Winfield Scott, from General Scott by General Marcus J. Wright (1894)